Ok, I’m going to try and post little tidbits on the media I’ve consumed each week. The things that amused me and the things that pissed me off. Here we go.
I Am Amused (for Now):
Ok so this is old media but I just started watching this show. I am consistently late to the party on television shows and video games but the reason I put this show off has a bit of a story. I loved Stargate SG-1. I loved it and, to a lesser extent, I enjoyed Stargate Atlantis. When I heard there was going to be a new Stargate show, I was excited. Then Stargate Universe premiered and I ragequit the show after maybe 5 episodes just waiting for something to happen. At the time, the buzz I heard from people who actually liked Stargate Universe was that it was just like Battlestar Galactica. I swore to never watch Battlestar Galactica. Ever.
Cut to over a month ago. I am at my friends’ house (Joe and Jill) and they pull out the Battlestar Galactica board game. I am slightly skeptical but it ends up being really fun. I tell them the above paragraph. They insist that I give BSG a shot and that it is not like Stargate Universe. They loaned me the miniseries and Season 1 on DVD.
I consumed the miniseries in one sitting almost without pausing it. This week, I started watching Season 1. Two episodes in, here are my impressions: It’s a dark show. If I was still in the depths of depression like days of old, I would ditch the series fast. However, the show does have its humor and the acting is terrific. The sense of paranoia that is starting to infect the cast of characters is interesting. If I had to pick a favorite character, I don’t think I could. I think it would be between Admiral Adama and President Laura Roslin. I don’t know if I’ll stick with the show but we’ll see.
WWE RAW 4/8/13
A lot of people who know me, know that I enjoy watching professional wrestling. This week, Raw aired from New Jersey which was my home of 9 years.
I Am Amused:
– Fandango continues to amuse me. He’s quickly into a grade A heel that everybody can love to hate. However, his cheesy elevator music entrance theme is actually maddeningly catchy as heard here. In fact, it is such an ear worm that I have found myself humming at work while collating. Which is why I can’t blame the Jersey crowd for what they did on Monday. I was nearly in tears laughing as thousands of people in the crowd continued to hum Fandango’s theme as his match began. In fact, they encouraged the crowd to do it again after the show went off air. Oh New Jersey, you’re such trolls.
I am Pissed Off:
– I am a big fan of The Miz whether he is a face or a heel. In fact, I used to steal one of his lines as a sign off. He won the Intercontinental title last Sunday in a Wrestlemania preshow match which pissed me off already. This Monday, he lost the title in a short match right back to Wade Barrett. What’s the point?
Gabriel Iglesias: Aloha Fluffy
I Am Amused:
– The show was hilarious. I always enjoy Gabriel Iglesias as he is a very funny comedian. However, like a lot of the great comics, he throws truth in among the funny. I found his take on being a step-dad interesting and his impressions on teenage boys pretty dead on. He also gave a great window into how things really are in Hawaii and Saudi Arabia/The Middle East. Sure, it’s not in depth but it’s nice to hear that things aren’t always as CNN or Fox News portrays it. Watch the special if you can, it just premiered on Comedy Central.
Other stuff that I watched this week that I enjoyed that I’ll just name: – Wrestlemania
– Supercard of Honor VII
– The Cinema Snob: Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
– Gravity Falls
– Colbert Report: Bill Clinton